Dry Ski & Indoor Ski Slopes
Born2Ski always recommend our clients visit one of the many Dry Ski or Indoor Snow domes before visiting a resort.
Either to get your first experience on skis or as a great way to get your body ready for the exertions of an Alpine Ski Holiday.
UK dry ski slopes
Get back into the swing before you go. And if you've never been skiing or boarding before, definitely go: it'll save you a lot of time in resort. Don't forget to wear gloves and padded clothing though.
What about trying dry slopes to learn the basics of skiing before you go on holiday?
Most dry ski slopes offer courses for beginners, ranging from a few hours of introduction, to a series of intensive courses. Although the material usually used to make dry slopes (Dendix) is different from snow, it certainly gives one an idea of what skiing is all about. It is also a bit more difficult to ski on dry slopes, making the first runs on real snow seem much easier.
Recent improvements in materials used on the slopes have successfully diminished problems caused by rougher materials from earlier days that caused burns and scrapes when skiers fell, and also damaged equipment.
Indoor ski slopes that have been developed over the past several years differ from dry ski slopes in that they are inside huge buildings kept at near freezing temperatures and, like mountain ski resorts, use sophisticated snowmaking technology and guns to create a real snow surface.
Real snow centres are found the world over, including the Middle East, giving basically city dwellers access to instruction and preparation for ski or snowboard holidays, exercise, and fun.
Indoor ski slopes are located in Belgium, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Korea, Spain, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.
Construction of new indoor snow palaces is taking place in Bahrain, Belgium, and the United States. Las Vegas, Nev., North Carolina, and New Jersey all have indoor ski areas in various stages of planning and construction.
- Ackers Trust Ski Centre, Birmingham 0121 772 5111
- Alpine Snowsports Centre, Hants 01252 325 889
- Avon Ski & Action Centre Ltd, Avon 01934 852335
- Bassingbourn Snowsports Centre, Herts 01462 618091
- Christ’s College Ski Club, Guildford 01483 504988
- Bowles Ski Centre, T Wells, Kent 01892 665665
- Brentwood Park Ski & Snowboard Centre, Essex 01277 211994
- Bromley Ski Centre, Kent 01689 876812
- Calshot, Southampton, Hants 02380 892077
- Chatham, Kent 01634 827979
- Snowtrax, Christchurch, Dorset 01202 499155
- Exeter and District Ski Club, Devon 01392 211 422
- Folkestone Ski Centre, Kent 01303 850333
- Gosling Ski and Board Centre, Herts 01707 384384
- Gloucester Ski and Snowboard Centre 08702 400375
- Hemel Ski Centre, Herts 01442 241321
- John Nike Leisure Complex, Bracknell, Berks 01344 789002
- Knockhatch Ski and Snowboard Centre, Hailsham, Sussex 01323-843344
- Norfolk Ski Club 01603 662781
- Plymouth Ski and Snowboard Centre, Plymouth, 01752 600220
- Riviera Ski & Water Sports, Aylesbury (formerly Captains Cabin) 01296 432288
- Sandown Park, Surrey 01372 467132
- Southampton Alpine Centre 02380 790970
- Suffolk Ski Centre, Ipswich 01473 602347
- Tallington Dry Ski Slope, Stamford 01778 344990
- The Dorset Snowsport Centre, Dorchester 01305 853 245
- Torquay Alpine Ski Club 01803 313350
- Wycombe Summit, Berks 01494 474711
- Xscape Snowdome, Milton Keynes 01908 200 020
- Yeovil Ski Centre, Somerset 01935 421 702
John Nike Leisuresport Complex
Sir Herbert Wragg Way
UK Reception: +44(0)1283 217200
Chatham Ski Centre
UK Reception: +44(0)1634 827 979
Llandudno Ski Centre
John Nike Leisuresport Complex
Wales Reception: +44(0)1492 874707
Plymouth Ski and Snowboard Centre
UK Reception: +44(0)1752 600 220
Facebook: OFFICIAL Plymouth Ski and Snowboard
Tele: 01422 340760
Kendal Ski Club
Canal Head North
0845 6345 173 (answer phone)
4 Vale Rd, Sheffield, S3 9SJ
Tel: 0114 276 0044
Tel: 0131 270 7500
Located at J32 off M62
Address; Xscape Ltd, Colorado Way, Glasshoughton, Castleford, West Yorkshire, WF10 4TA
http://www.xscape.co.uk/snow/braehead/ Xscape Braehead, Kings Inch Road, Braehead, Renfrew, PA4 8XQ
http://www.runcornskicentre.co.uk/ Town Park, Palace Fields, Runcorn, Cheshire, WA7 6PT Tel 01928 701 965