Kitzbuhel in Austria Resort Guide
Kitzbuhel's reputation precedes it, not just as venue for the annual Hahnenkamm Wolrd Cup downhill, but as the charming bustling typically Tirolean ski town sought out year in year out by those who relish its reputation for wide, open intermediate slopes, treeline skiing, good nightlife, mountain restaurants and mix of larger upmarket hotels complemented by a wide array of lower priced smaller hotels and pensions. In truth the annual media feeding frenzy and highly charged carnival atmosphere that is the Hahnekamm weekend bolsters the resort's image, for the skiing is nowhere near as challenging as the stomach churning Mausfalle and the Steilhang suggest. Indeed the Streif itself is a long enjoyable red run conquered by thousands each season. What it lacks is altitude and reliable snow on the lower slopes, although the recent investment in snowmaking has improved the situation significantly - and rescued a few money spinning World Cup weekends into the bargain. Built up around a quaint, walled medieval village centre with cobbled streets and a picture postcard church it is now very much a larger town and suits those who appreciate the amenities this brings. Nobody appreciates the traffic that builds up. While much of the local skiing is predictably intermediate the links to Kirchberg open up a greater area of terrain, and there is some interesting shorter runs over towards the Pass Thurn (1265m).
Accomodation & Après Ski
- The Streifalm. streifalm.at. This is on the lower slopes of the Hahnenkamm, so the perfect place to pop into on the way home for a… ...
- The Londoner. The Londoner. ... lives on as the most famous venue in the town!
- Lichtl Pub. Immobilien Kitzbühel Christian Krassnigg. ...
- O'Flannigans Irish pub. kitzbuehel.com. ...
- Club Take Five. Kitzbuhel Apres Ski.
Other activities in resort include:
- Cross country skiing
- Winter hiking / snow shoe walking
- Swimming at the Water World Aquarena with fun slides, sauna and spa.
- Ice skating, ice hockey and Curling at the Mercedes Benz Sportpark
- Tobogganing and night skiing at Gaisberg in Kirchberg
- Horse drawn sleigh rides
- Excusions to Salzberg and Innsbruck (ask at the tourist office in the square)
|RESORT HEIGHT||800||VERTICAL DESCENT||1210||OPENS||1st Dec - Mid Apr|
|TOP STATION||2000||DRAG LIFTS||17||EXPERT RATING||8|
|BOTTOM STATION||790||CHAIR LIFTS||28||INTERMEDIATE RATING||8|
Lift Pass Prices From
- Adult One Day Pass : 58 Euros
- Adult Six Day Pass : 286 Euros
- Child One Day Pass : 29 Euros
- Child Six Day Pass : 143 Euros